Goa Police issue flight alert on Tejpal after recording victim's statement
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
In a bid to stop Tehelka founder and former editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal from fleeing the country, the Goa Police Tuesday issued an "immigration checkpost alert" for him as it recorded the crucial statement of a junior colleague who has accused the veteran journalist of sexually assaulting her.
Police sources said the woman's statement matched the sequence and details in her email complaint to Tehelka managing editor Shoma Chaudhury. The police will also ask her to record her statement in the presence of a magistrate under Section 164.
In Delhi, the family of the woman complained to the police that Tejpal and his aides were pressuring them not to pursue the case. In a written complaint to the Pandav Nagar police, the mother of the woman journalist claimed that Tejpal's daughter visited her residence Tuesday morning.
"The woman has claimed she was asked who was giving legal advice to the family. The woman also alleged she had been told not to pursue the case. The visitor left the house when the alleged victim's mother refused to take back the complaint," said a senior police officer.
The East district police said the complaint had been forwarded to senior officers at police headquarters and legal opinion was being sought. No FIR has been registered.
In Goa, DIG O P Mishra said investigating officer Sunita Sawant had established contact with the alleged victim Monday, four days after the FIR was registered, and a formal statement was being recorded.
"Today, a team of Crime Branch officers, including the investigating officer, are talking to the victim. She is fully cooperating with us. Her statement is being formally recorded," said Mishra.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress