Godhra cleric Umarji dies at 73
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
Maulana Umarji, who was alleged to be the mastermind of the 2002 Godhra train burning incident, died at his home in Godhra on Sunday. The 73-year-old cleric was acquitted by a special trial court in Ahmedabad along with 62 others in 2011. He is survived by his wife and 13 children.
"Maulana was not keeping well for last many months and breathed his last at 9:20 pm. His four sons and other family members were by his side," Maqsud Hathila, a family friend, said. Sources said the cleric was diabetic and had also been affected by paralysis.
Umarji, accused to be the main conspirator of the burning of a coach of Sabarmati Express at Godhra, was arrested on February 27, 2002.