Godhra rape victim shifted to Ahmedabad hospital
- Muslim women beaten up in Madhya Pradesh over beef rumours
- Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district
- GST Bill: Uncertainty continues as States don’t agree on rate
- Cow was killed by lion, not Dalit men flogged by gau rakshaks: CID
- How Governor Raghuram Rajan had his way on venue for RBI interviews
The Kadana rape victim was on Thursday shifted to Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad from Godhra in Panchamahals district for further treatment of her fractured spinal cord even as police continued the hunt for two absconding suspects in the case.
The girl was taken to Ahmedabad in an ambulance of Godhra Civil Hospital in the afternoon. The 15-year-old had been admitted to the Godhra hospital Tuesday after she had complained of body pain.
A doctor and a nurse accompanied the teenager and her family member to Ahmedabad, officials of Godhra civil hospital said.
"The third vertebra from down of the girl's spinal cord has been fractured. She requires specialty treatment and hence we referred her to New Civil Hospital in Ahmedabad," Dr Ranjit Ravat, in-charge superintendent of Godhra civil hospital said.
Dr Ravat said the victim might have suffered the fracture when she was allegedly thrown off a bridge over Tatroli river near her village Antalwada in Kadana taluka after being allegedly raped on December 27.
Meanwhile, two suspects in the case are still at large.
"We have conducted searches in their village, without success," Lunavada circle police inspector H M Sutar, investigation officer of the case, said.
The police had arrested Javed Kureshi, a resident of Lapania village in neighbouring Lunavada taluka, on December 29 in connection with the case. Sutar said Kureshi had confessed to his crime and is presently in judicial custody.
"We will seek permission to interrogate Kureshi again to get leads about the two suspects. We had detained a suspect but the girl could not identify him during an identity parade," Sutar said.
Daughter of a farmer, the victim was allegedly abducted by Kureshi, a distant relative of hers, and two others before being raped by Kureshi.
Later, they had dumped her in bushes near her village.
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation
- Poor infrastructure not outdated syllabi — is what ails Indian universities
- India will have to get its act together on urban water
- Qandeel Baloch’s murder: Men craft, interpret and adjudicate over family laws in the subcontinent
- BJP was not dependent on Dalits to win Gujarat. But the apathy may cost in other states
- Jayalalithaa and Mamata defend Mayawati, recast politics on gender lines