Gold price down by Rs 235 to hit 6-month low on falling demand
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy arrested in Lucknow, says he was not absconding
- Congress core group meets today over anti-graft ordinances pushed by Rahul
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
- Govt hikes DA by 10% for 80 lakh employees & pensioners
Gold prices today plunged to a six-month low of Rs 30,390 per 10 grams here due to brisk selling by stockists on fall in demand amid weak global trend.
After losing Rs 175 in the last two sessions, the precious metal fell further by Rs 235 to Rs 30,390 per 10 grams, a level last seen on August 16 last year.
Bullion merchants said demand for the precious metals dried up after end of the marriage and festive season which normally boost the buying activity.
They said a weak trend in the overseas markets where gold dipped below USD 1,600 an ounce after Federal Reserve Chairman said the US economy is recovering, also reduced demand for the metals as an alternate investment option.
Meanwhile, the world's largest gold investors offloading their holdings in exchange-traded products backed by gold last quarter, further influenced the market sentiment, they added.
Billionaire investors George Soros and Louis Moore Bacon cut their stakes in exchange-traded products backed by gold last quarter as the prices dropped the most in more than eight years.
With a general weakening trend, silver prices also declined sharply on reduced offtake by industrial units and coin makers.
On the domestic front, gold of 99.9 and 99.5 per cent purity dropped by Rs 235 each to Rs 30,390 and Rs 30,190 per 10 grams, respectively. Sovereigns lost Rs 50 to Rs 25,200 per piece of eight grams.
Silver ready fell by Rs 570 to Rs 56,530 per kg and weekly-based delivery by Rs 1,315 to Rs 56,060 per kg on the lack of buying by speculators.
As the seasonal demand tumbled, silver coins dropped by Rs 2,000 to Rs 78,000 for buying and Rs 79,000 for selling of 100 pieces.
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past