Gold smuggling: Financial intel sleuths search jewellers for alleged duty evasion
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Customs, DRI and CISF had in past months seized gold worth crores from many places, including Bangalore and Mumbai. Earlier this year, about 250 kg of gold plates imported from Dubai worth Rs 68 crore were seized by DRI officials from the premises of a trading firm here and in neighbouring Noida.
At present, 10 gm of gold ranges between Rs 31,000-32,000. A Finance Ministry report, citing high intrinsic value of gold, has said the yellow metal is preferred as an asset class for hiding 'black' income even in times of high inflation or uncertainties plaguing the economy, and despite chargeability of jewellery, gold and bullion to wealth tax.
It has suggested better reporting and monitoring systems to trace the dealings in bullion and jewellery through Income Tax, Customs and Sales Tax Acts.