Government orders probe on 125 companies for defrauding investors
- Submarine mishaps: Navy had raised alarm with PMO, Defence Ministry
- Sahara chief Subrata Roy sent to police custody till March 4
- Petrol price hiked by 60 paise per litre, diesel by 50 paise
- Chhattisgarh: Six policemen killed in Naxal ambush
- IPL betting probe: Senior Tamil Nadu cop suspended for violation of 'conduct rules'
The government has ordered Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) to probe as many as 125 companies for allegedly defrauding investors by offering high returns in nearly four years, Parliament was informed on Thursday.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot said that his Ministry has received complaints that some companies are allegedly defrauding investors by offering high returns.
During the last three years and the current year, the ministry has ordered investigation into the affairs of 125 such firms, under Companies Act, by SFIO, he said.
Pilot said that his Ministry has taken various steps to sensitise the public and other agencies about fraudulent investment schemes.
He requested Chief Ministers to issue instruction to their respective police authorities for taking vigorous action under Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning)Act.
Besides, he also wrote to the Finance Minister to increase the surveillance by Reserve Bank over authorised non banking finance companies.
In addition, Pilot said various measures had been undertaken to protect the investor' interests through programmes on awareness and education.
Some of these steps include issue of multi-lingual print media advertisements from time to time to caution the investors about fraudulent investment schemes, creation of facility on MCA-21 website for lodging complaints and for tracking their status and a system of sending SMSes cautioning investors to be careful while making investments.
Sachin Pilot, Fraud, Serious Fraud Investigation Office, Corporate Affairs Ministry, Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning)Act, Reserve Bank of India, Financial news, India news, Nation news
- Love and thereabouts
- Youth Akali Dal leaders open fire in front of Akali leader’s home, 3 hurt
- Raarewala market: Shopkeepers threaten LS election boycott; Ayali, mayor swing into action
- Techie murder: 2 months on, cops land in UP on wild goose chase, lens on taxi, auto drivers
- Deoband cleric declares support for Narendra Modi
- Row in British parliament complex over Narendra Modi’s past