Government orders probe on 125 companies for defrauding investors
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
The government has ordered Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) to probe as many as 125 companies for allegedly defrauding investors by offering high returns in nearly four years, Parliament was informed on Thursday.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Corporate Affairs Minister Sachin Pilot said that his Ministry has received complaints that some companies are allegedly defrauding investors by offering high returns.
During the last three years and the current year, the ministry has ordered investigation into the affairs of 125 such firms, under Companies Act, by SFIO, he said.
Pilot said that his Ministry has taken various steps to sensitise the public and other agencies about fraudulent investment schemes.
He requested Chief Ministers to issue instruction to their respective police authorities for taking vigorous action under Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning)Act.
Besides, he also wrote to the Finance Minister to increase the surveillance by Reserve Bank over authorised non banking finance companies.
In addition, Pilot said various measures had been undertaken to protect the investor' interests through programmes on awareness and education.
Some of these steps include issue of multi-lingual print media advertisements from time to time to caution the investors about fraudulent investment schemes, creation of facility on MCA-21 website for lodging complaints and for tracking their status and a system of sending SMSes cautioning investors to be careful while making investments.
Sachin Pilot, Fraud, Serious Fraud Investigation Office, Corporate Affairs Ministry, Prize Chits and Money Circulation Schemes (Banning)Act, Reserve Bank of India, Financial news, India news, Nation news
- ‘We were in a bit of trouble initially but AB came in and he steadied the ship’
- Cops claim body was lifted from crime scene within 20 mins, family says it’s a lie
- After opening loss CSK face resurgent Daredevils
- Kirsten has given me new insight, says Coulter-Nile
- Nomination filed, the other Manpreet Badal goes missing
- M&M keep it sweet for punjab