Governor bats for FDI in retail
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
Appeals to agricultural universities to take lead in spreading awareness among farmers
Governor K Sankaranarayanan Wednesday pitched for FDI in retail, saying the policy will benefit farmers immensely. He also appealed to the agricultural universities to take the lead in spreading awareness on the benefits of FDI among farmers.
He was speaking at the unveiling of the statue of late social reformer Mahatma Phule at the University of Pune. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, PWD Minister Chhagan Bhujbal, Rajya Sabha member Bhalchandra Mungekar, Guardian minister of Pune district Sachin Ahir, University of Pune vice-chancellor W N Gade, registrar CM Chitale were also present on the occasion.
Throwing light on Phule's philosophy for the welfare of farmers the Governor said, "Thoughts and ideas of the great social reformer should be implemented to uplift farmers."
Chief Minister Chavan underlined the need to carry out the legacy of Phule to establish social equity. "The ideology and work of Mahatma Phule is an inspiration for today's generation. The youth should aspire to contribute to the society by way of endeavouring to improve the society like Phule and his wife Savitribai did."
Vice Chancellor W N Gade said he was honoured in handing over the statue of Mahatma Phule to the University. A 12-feet bronze statue of Mahatma Phule by Mumbai-based artist V B Panchal has been installed in front of the administrative building of the university.