Governor summons HS Council chief over gherao in schools
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal attacks 'helicopter politics' of Modi and Gandhis; Priyanka says others misguiding voters
- SC sets up panel to frame guidelines for government ads ahead of polls
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
Governor M K Narayanan on Monday asked the chief of the West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education to meet him regarding the recent fiasco in schools, where students who had failed in examinations were gheraoing teachers to demand pass marks.
Narayanan was speaking on the sidelines of the convocation at Jadavpur University. "I have asked Higher Secondary Council president Muktinath Chatterje to meet me. I can only elaborate after I have spoken to him," he said, adding that the council should be firm in taking decisions.
The governor's reaction came in the wake of gherao of principals and teachers by students who failed to qualify for appearance in board examination. A fresh row erupted after the education department gave a clean chit to the Higher Education Council at a time when the council has been criticised for taking examination sheets from Rishi Aurobindo Vidyapith at Santoshpur for recheck two days ago.
When contacted, Higher Education Council president Chatterjee said he is yet to get an official letter regarding the meeting with the governor.
Meanwhile, at Aluliah school in Ranaghat, students gheraoed the principal and demanded that they be allowed to sit for the examination.
Condemning the intrusion of politics in campuses which might be seen as one of the reasons for universities lagging behind, the governor, also the Chancellor of the university, said during the convocation, "Unfortunately the universities have become conflict-prone. Politics is welcome in campuses if limited to debates. But when politics spills onto the streets, it becomes a serious hindrance for education."
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'
- Missing plane MH370: Australia plans to use system that found Titanic
- Nandurbar helps me win in Gujarat, it will now help me win India: Narendra Modi
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase