Govt asks SC collegium to reconsider three names
- No permission for Gujarat roadshow: Arvind Kejriwal released after brief detention
- RJD, Congress agree on seat-sharing deal for Bihar
- Supreme Court takes suo motu cognisance of ink attack on Subrata Roy
- Rahul slams BJP, says party wants to vest power in one person
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
The government is learnt to have requested the Supreme Court collegium to reconsider the names of three senior judges it had recommended for elevation to the apex court.
Sources said the government had written to the collegium headed by Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir to reconsider its recommendation to elevate Orissa High Court Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda, Karnataka High Court Chief Justice Vikramjit Sen and Madras High Court Chief Justice M Y Eqbal.
The reasons for returning their names were not immediately known.
Under the present system, if the collegium sends back the names to the government again, then it is bound to consider them for elevation.