Govt asks SC collegium to reconsider three names
- Modi's appeal to the rich: 'Give up subsidised LPG'
- Distrust deepens, AAP countdown begins for easing out Yadav and Prashant Bhushan
- MS Dhoni: Smudged, but colour remains
- Maharashtra: First arrests made under new law banning beef trade
- Ribeiro an icon, I felt sad reading his piece, told the PM: Nitin Gadkari
The government is learnt to have requested the Supreme Court collegium to reconsider the names of three senior judges it had recommended for elevation to the apex court.
Sources said the government had written to the collegium headed by Chief Justice of India Altamas Kabir to reconsider its recommendation to elevate Orissa High Court Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda, Karnataka High Court Chief Justice Vikramjit Sen and Madras High Court Chief Justice M Y Eqbal.
The reasons for returning their names were not immediately known.
Under the present system, if the collegium sends back the names to the government again, then it is bound to consider them for elevation.