Govt mulls financial aid for rape, acid attack victims
- FIR against Giriraj Singh for Modi-Pak remark, BJP pulls him up
- Modi attacks Gandhis again, wonders how Rahul can lead country when he can't handle Amethi
- Malaysian Airlines flight to Bangalore makes air turnback, lands safely
- Vote for BSP to keep fascist forces, dynasty rule at bay: Mayawati to Muslims
- IPL 7: Glen Maxwell plays another blinder, leads KXIP to stunning win
Taking cognisance of rising cases of rape and acid attacks, the state government is planning to bear their expenses for medical and legal aid, counselling and rehabilitation.
Under the 'Peedit Mahila Navjeevan Yojana', the government plans to provide financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh to the victims to fight their cases and for rehabilitation.
The women and child welfare department has prepared the proposal for approval by the Cabinet.
As soon as the case of attack is reported, Rs 20,000 financial aid would be provided. For legal and medical aid, Rs 50,000 would be given. Later, for the victim's rehabilitation Rs 1.30 lakh would be provided, department officials said. "The entire amount will be deposited in the victim's bank account in a phased manner," sources added.
The proposal has been forwarded to the finance ministry for approval. "It is expected to be taken up for discussion in the next Cabinet meeting," sources said. For disbursal of funds, a board will be set up in all districts, and will be headed by collectors.