Unemployment allowance: Govt plans special camps to distribute cheques
Although the scheme of unemployment allowance was launched by the Samajwadi Party government in September last year, more than nine lakh unemployed youths in 54 districts are still waiting to avail the benefit. Under the scheme, an allowance of Rs 1,000 per month is to be given to unemployed youths in the age group between 25 and 40.
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had launched the scheme from Lucknow in September by distributing cheques to 5,505 youths of 21 districts in different programmes, while 50,000 others were given cheques by officers there. These youths were given the allowances for the first quarter of July, August and September months. The amount for the next quarter has been transferred in their bank accounts.
However, in other 54 districts, the staff of the Employment and Training Department is waiting for instructions for distribution of cheques.
Sources said that the state government had recently decided that special camps for distribution of allowance would be organised in these 54 districts where the minister in-charge would distribute cheques to unemployed youths in the presence of local public representatives.
On Monday, Principal Secretary of Labour and Employment Shailesh Krishna directed the regional and district employment officers to seek date and time from the minister in-charge before January 31 and distribute allowance cheques by organising camps.
Additional Director of Employment and Training D Prasad said: "Distribution of allowance would be started in all these districts by the ministers by January 31." Prasad said that allowance distribution camps would be organised in Shahjahanpur on January 27, Hathras on January 28, Amethi on January 29, Faizabad on January 30, Aligarh on January 31.
The state government had made a provision of Rs 1,000 crore for the scheme in the budget. Sources said that the department has sought a budget of Rs 3,600 crore for the scheme in the next financial year. Around 11.46 lakh youths have applied for allowance till Tuesday.
- In first visit after riots, Mulayam defends UP govt, rakes up Gujarat
- Army takes over disputed plot, Manvendra sees conspiracy
- Five seats in Assam, 1 in Tripura to vote in Phase 1
- BJP Modi video to woo Muslims
- Elections 204 begin today; TDP joins hands with BJP, both face protests
- Campuses abuzz with poll talk: Debates, banners & streetplays drive campaign
- Babri Masjid demolition sting: BJP questions timing, asks EC to stop telecast
- Apmaan ka badla lena hoga: Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar | The Indian Express
- Arvind Kejriwal punched during roadshow in Delhi, AAP supporters thrash attacker
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death