BlackBerry infrastructure in India set for takeover by govt: Telecom Ministry
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats BJP PM candidate Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- BJP complains to EC over St Xavier principal's criticism of Modi's Guj model of development
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi attacks Gandhis, says family going strong for 60 years, time to build a strong nation
The government plans to take possession of the server and other infrastructure placed by BlackBerry in Mumbai to test the solution offered by the smartphone maker for legal interception of Internet communication.
According to an internal note of Telecom Ministry, prepared after testing the interception of various services of BlackBerry by central security agencies, it was recommended to "initiate a process to take over the possession of RIM infrastructure created at Mumbai for which a suitable agreement may be entered between Department of Telecommunication and Canada-based Research In Motion (RIM), manufacturer of the smart phone.
After initially being reluctant in sharing information, RIM has now been complying with the requirements of the government to ensure that all its services are intercepted in readable format and in real time, as and when required by the security agencies.
Giving details of the findings of the tests carried out, the security agencies said there was an urgent need for decrypting the internet browsing services being offered on the smart phone by April this year as the RIM team had been able to provide only a temporary solution to this.
The 'attachments' with the emails generated under the BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS) from the smart phone also could not be downloaded in real time, it was stated.
It was also recommended that there was a need for negotiating with RIM to provide Personal Identification Number (PIN) and International Mobile Equipment Identification (IMEI) list for all the BlackBerry handsets.
"With respect to PIN to IMEI resolution, the tested solution is apparently satisfactory for all the handsets officially shipped to India. With regard to handsets shipped to other countries, RIM intimated that PIN to IMEI correlation in such cases can be obtained through BlackBerry Public safety office (PSO)," the note said, adding, "We may negotiate with RIM to provide the entire IMEI-PIN correlation data of other countries."
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'