Govt suspends Jalaun SP for ‘extortion, inefficiency’
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb; polling underway in 12 states
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
The state government today suspended Superintendent of Police (SP) of Jalaun district R P Chaturvedi on charges of inefficiency in executing his duty and other irregularities including extortion.
Chaturvedi has been attached with the Regional Training Centre (RTC) at Chunar in Mirzapur district, a Home Department spokesperson said.
Secretary (Home) Jagdish Prasad told The Sunday Express that the government had ordered an inquiry into allegations of irregularities against Chaturvedi. The inquiry had been conducted by Jhansi Range DIG Surya Nath Singh.
The inquiry report submitted to the government confirmed that the SP had posted two sub-inspectors (S-Is) — who had misconduct charges in their annual confidential reports (ACRs) — as station officers. The inquiry also found him guilty of extortion.
The DIG's report stated that the SP failed to comply with orders issued by the DGP regarding initiating action on crimes taking place in the district and arresting the criminals. The SP also failed to execute his duties as chief of the district police, added the secretary.
Asked about his suspension, Chaturvedi said he was unaware of the reasons behind the action taken against him.
Sources said a group of traders and some local organisations had recently staged demonstrations at the district collectorate demanding action against the "corrupt" SP.
Chaturvedi, a 1999-batch IPS officer, was posted as Jalaun SP on August 3.
Hours after CM promises action, axe falls on SP
The suspension of the Jalaun SP came soon after Samajwadi Party youth leaders complained to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav against the district police chief, and were assured by the CM that action would be taken.
Surendra Yadav, the district president of Yuvjan Sabha in Jalaun, along with several other party workers raised the issue of SP R P Chaturvedi at a meeting with the CM at his official residence at 5 Kalidas Marg here today.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18