Govt to start distributing free laptops this month
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Manmohan Singh didnât put wifeâs name in Rajya Sabha affidavit, says BJP
The Uttar Pradesh Electronics Corporation Limited (UPELC) on Friday signed an agreement with Hewlett Packard (HP), placing an order for the supply of nearly 15 lakh laptops for free distribution to students who have passed class XII, as promised in the election manifesto of the ruling Samajwadi Party.
The agreement was signed by Prabhat Mittal, managing director of UPELC, and Rajiv Srivastava, senior vice-president of HP in India. Dion Weisler, HP senior vice-president for Asia-Pacific-Japan, was present.
The distribution of laptops will begin in the last week of this month and officials have been asked to make preparations in Lucknow and SP president Mulayam Singh Yadav's Lok Sabha constituency Mainpuri. "The list of beneficiary students will be provided to us in the next two days," an official said. Mittal said the distribution would start soon.
Sources said each laptop and bag will bear the logo of the UP government. When it is switched on, the picture of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will appear on the screen, to be followed by the picture of Mulayam Singh Yadav, and then the words, Purey Hotey Waadey. Next, the screen will display the names of the departments associated with the laptop distribution scheme. Then will come open the home screen, which will carry the tagline "Presented by Honourable Chief Minister".
The laptops will be available in two colours — black and grey. The technical specifications will include a dual core processor or equivalent AMD processor of 2 gigahertz speed, 2 GB DDR RAM expandable up to 4 GB, 14 inch screen 1024X768 resolution, hard disc of 500 GB, inbuilt speakers, webcam, wi-fi, bluetooth, DVD player, integrated graphics card and three USB ports. It will have Windows 7 higher version programme, windows security essential anti-virus, Hindi and Urdu unicode font keyboard interface with the secondary boot of Linux.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit