Greater flamingo give Rann of Kutch a miss for the second year
Even as tourists from all parts of the country have started flocking to Kutch for the annual Rann Utsav, the greater flamingo, the state bird of Gujarat, has given a miss to Flamingo City, a prime breeding site of the bird.
This is the second consecutive year that the birds have given a miss to Rann, leaving ornithologists and forest-officers wondering about the cause of the phenomenon.
Flocks of greater flamingos start descending in Flamingo City, an island called Anda Bet, in the Greater Rann of Kutch (GRK) from October onwards. The island is the largest nesting site of the the species in the country. In 2011, around 10 lakh flamingos were recorded here, forest officers say.
But during her visit to Flamingo City last week, field biologist Nita Shah, who is working on habitat occupancy and distribution of flamingos, did not find a single bird on the island.
"The birds are not there and we don't know if they will come or not. I am afraid it is too late for nesting this year," Shah, who visited the isolated island on December 10, told The Indian Express. Shah's research project is funded by Dehradun-based Wildlife Institute of India, a training and research institute functioning under the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest.
"Flamingos breed in ideal conditions only. The level of water should be ideal and the availability of food should also be in right amounts. While they can also breed once in three years, the reason for their not arriving this season is a matter of research," Shah added.
Flamingos are waders which filter-feed on crustaceans, molluscs and insects in wetlands.
The Anda Bet gets marooned during monsoon as water from rivers of north Gujarat flows into the GRK, which is part of Thar desert. But water recedes by winter, drawing the birds to this secluded place for breeding. However, flamingos did not nest at this site last year as water level had remained low due to drought-like situation in the state. This year too, good rainfall was recorded towards the fag end of monsoon in September.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS: Sonia Gandhi | The Indian Express
- After Sanjay Baru, former coal secretary Parakh’s book embarrasses PM; ‘Singh had little political authority’
- How can Modi honour women if he can’t mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Rahul Gandhi insulting Ambedkar by taking credit for laws: Narendra Modi