Green spanner in TN plan to turn Assembly into hospital
The J Jayalalithaa government's plan to convert the secretariat-assembly complex commissioned by the former regime into a super speciality hospital ran into another hurdle Wednesday: the southern bench of the National Green Tribunal directed it to stop the conversion till the appeal pending before it was disposed of.
The government's decision to make the Rs 1,100 crore complex into a hospital was challenged in the Madras High Court, which dismissed it two weeks ago. The Supreme Court too upheld the decision.
Soon after the HC threw out the challenge, the government had moved in machinery and manpower to commence conversion work. On Tuesday, the tribunal chided it for "haste" in commencing work though the appeal challenging environmental clearance was pending before it. After examining the appeal Wednesday, the tribunal ordered an interim stay on construction and conversion activities.
- JNU students’ union says Modi no ‘messiah of good governance’
- BJP’s mouthpiece brings out special issue on Congress ‘scams’ since Nehru
- Modi a liar and a fraud: Mulayam
- Pak won’t dare attack jawans after Modi becomes PM: Shah
- In SC today, Bengal’s chit fund account
- TMC-Oppn trade barbs over Ponzi schemes