Group to look into poll reforms, political funding, says Sonia
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
Even as the Congress on Sunday redefined aam aadmi in its Jaipur Declaration as "representing the poor and the middle classes", Congress president Sonia Gandhi announced she would constitute a group in the party to boost the electoral reforms process, especially political funding, to regain the confidence of people.
In the backdrop of agitations by civil society groups and flash mob protests, the ruling party at the Centre has been concerned about the "more aspirational and more impatient" youth and middle classes and it came up for deliberations at the party's chintan shivir on January 18-19.
Addressing the AICC meet here on Sunday, the Congress president conceded the fact that people are getting disenchanted with the political process and asked partymen to understand the reasons for this. "While doing this, we should oppose and refute any attempt of mud slinging on politicians, political parties and democratic institutions. But we also agree that to regain people's confidence, there is a need to consider electoral reforms, especially political funding. Many suggestions are being considered at government and non-government platforms. There is a need to make a clear and time-bound programme," she said, announcing her intention to form a group to consider suggestions and make a programme available soon.
She came out in support of government decisions to cut subsidies. "Today, global recession is affecting India also. It has forced the government to take tough decisions. It has increased people's problems. Despite this, we have to explain to people the steps taken by the government to control inflation," she told party leaders.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today