GSLV D5 launch: All you need to know about ISRO's rocket launch mission
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
On Sunday, ISRO will attempt to launch a 1,982 kg Indian communication satellite GSAT 14 aboard its new and improved version of the indigenous GSLV called the GSLV D5.
A successful launch will put ISRO in line to attempt a series of commercial launches using the GSLV and even prepare for a proposed Chandrayaan 2 mission.
Here are some of the highlights of India's GSLV D5's mission:
# GSLV-D5 will launch 1982 Kg GSAT-14, a communication satellite, into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).
# GSLV-D5 mission will be launched from the second launch pad at Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
# GSLV-D5 is the eighth flight of India's Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV). It is also the fourth developmental flight of GSLV.
# During this flight, the indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage (CUS) will be flight tested for the second time.
# The flight duration of GSLV-D5 is 17 min 8 sec.
# GSLV D5's mission was aborted at the eleventh hour on August 19 last year due to a fuel leak in its second stage. ISRO stopped the countdown 74 minutes ahead of the scheduled launch at 1650 hours after noticing the leakage.
# After reaching GTO, GSAT-14 will use its own propulsion system to reach its geostationary orbital home.
# GSAT-14 is the twenty third geostationary communication satellite of India built by ISRO.
# Four of GSAT-14's predecessors were launched by GSLV during 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2007 respectively. After its commissioning, GSAT-14 will join the group of India's nine operational geostationary satellites.
# GSAT-14 will help provide many satellite based communication services to the country including tele-education and tele-medicine.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today