GU V-C sues ex-deputy CM for defamation
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
Gujarat University (GU) Vice-Chancellor Adesh Pal has filed a defamation case against former deputy chief minister and Congress leader Narhari Amin for allegedly making derogatory remarks against him through media.
The court has ordered a police inquiry and asked Pal to record his statement on December 1.
According to Pal's complaint lodged before a metropolitan court on Friday, Amin, who is also a member of the GU's executive council, accused him of pocketing Rs 15 lakh when he had conducted international workshops as a faculty at North Gujarat University.
Amin had also criticised Pal's appointment as Vice-Chancellor about two months ago as saying he had eloped with his student.
In his complaint, Pal said these were personal allegations without basis.
"About corruption charges, the university concerned had conducted an independent inquiry and the audit report also gave me clean chit. But Amin levelled charges to damage my personal and professional life and to gain political mileage," Pal said in his complaint.
In October, Pal had filed a similar court complaint against Modhwadia for calling him "characterless", "corrupt" and "drunkard". The proceedings in the case are going on.