Guilty must be punished as per law: Amitabh Bachchan on Afzal Guru hanging
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over hate speech
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Six election officials killed in Naxal attack; FIR filed against Azam Khan
Asserting that the decision of the courts must be accepted, actor Amitabh Bachchan on Saturday said the guilty must be punished as per the law.
"I haven't seen it. We should all abide by the law and whatever has happened has happened within the law. The nation has done an investigation and then took a decision. We respect the decision of the courts," he said, when asked to comment on the execution of 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Guru was hanged at Delhi's Tihar Jail at 8 am today after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his mercy plea.
Guru was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
On 13th December 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
They included five Delhi Police personnel, a woman Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) official, two Parliament watch and ward staff and a gardener.
A journalist, who was injured, died later. All five terrorists were shot dead.
Guru was arrested within hours after the attack from a bus in the national capital.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit