Guj HC asks ONGC to make 577 workers permanent
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
The Gujarat High Court (HC) on Friday ordered the Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) to treat 577 of its workers, who were appointed on tenure basis in 1999, as permanent employees from the date of their appointment. A single-judge bench of the HC comprising Justice Kalpesh Jhaveri passed a judgment in this regard while dismissing a petition of the company that challenged a Central Government Industrial Tribunal's (CGIT's) order in favour of the workmen.
According to the workmen's lawyer, Amrish Patel, the workmen were employed by the ONGC in 1999. At that time, they were appointed for a fixed term. Later, they were appointed on tenure basis with a condition that their employment would be terminated after the attainment of 45 years of age.
In 2003, the workmen union had raised a demand to give these employees employment on permanent basis. And the CGIT, in 2011, ordered to give the 577 workmen employment on permanent basis by the ONGC. The ONGC had approached the HC against the CGIT order. However, the appeal has been dismissed by the HC with a direction to the ONGC to consider them as permanent staff since 1999.
Man foils robbery attempt in Ahmedabad
A man foiled a daylight robbery attempt by some unidentified persons Friday in the city, police said, adding that he was dragged to almost 50 metres on the ground in the process.
The incident happened when an employee of a private firm withdrew cash of Rs 1.20 lakh from a BOI branch on C G road and returning his office. Two motorcycle-borne men wearing helmets tried to snatch the money kept in a bag, police said.
The entire incident was captured in the CCTV camera of a building near the bank. The CCTV footage showed the loot attempt in the camera.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today