Gujarat BJP MLA absconds following detention in firing incident
- Vijay Mallya tells SC he is willing to pay Rs 4000 crores of bank loans
- 18-year-old madrasa student’s arm broken for not saying ‘Jai Mata Ki’
- Pakistan's 'spy' video raises questions, his India trail offers clues
- PM Modi arrives in Belgium to attend India-EU summit
- Uttarakhand crisis: Centre moves HC challenging its order for floor test
Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad, who was detained in connection with the firing incident at a polling station in which four persons were injured, is absconding, a top police official said today.
Bharwad allegedly absconded from a private hospital here in the early morning on Tuesday where he was admitted yesterday for head injuries and the authorities are contemplating action against eight policemen who were on the escort duty.
"He was brought at the Apollo hospital here for the CT scan, which was referred by the doctors who were treating him in Godhra. From there, at around 3 AM today, he ran away while his police escort team were outside the CT scan room," state DGP Chitranjan Singh said.
"We are taking action against eight policemen who were in the escort team who brought MLA Jetha Bharwad here while he was under detention," Singh added.
Bharwad's bodyguard yesterday allegedly opened fire after some stones were pelted at the leader by some people in Tarsang village, resulting in the injury to four of them.
Bharwad had also sustained head injuries in stone pelting.
The MLA from Sahera in Panchmahal district is seeking a re-election.
Bharwad, alongwith 10 others, has been charged with attempt to murder.
"We have registered an FIR against MLA Jetha Bharwad and four others under different sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) which also include section 307 (attempt to murder)," said Sehara police sub-inspector P S Bhatt.
However, Takhatsingh Solanki, a Congress candidate against him in Sahera constituency, had alleged Bharwad had come with his supporters in two vehicles, with the intention of bogus voting and had staged the stone pelting.
- Bharat Mata pivot gives BJP a narrative to link what the RSS wants
- Government is undermining the much-needed MGNREGA in a time of drought
- Modi’s decision to attend India-EU Summit sends a strong message across the world
- From contaminated Sutlej waters to farmer suicides and drug abuse, Punjab is a state in freefall
- How can Europe meet its challenges without giving up its way of life?
- Aadhaar legislation points to the need for a comprehensive privacy law