Gujarat civic polls: BJP wins 47 out of 76 municipalities
- EC issues show cause notice to Mulayam Singh Yadav for violation of poll code
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: KXIP chase 206, beat CSK by six wickets
Out of 75 municipalities, the results of which were declared today by the State Election Commission, 47 were won by BJP while Congress managed to win nine, officials said.
Out of 76 municipalities where election were declared, Halvad in Surendranagar and Kutiyana in Porbandar were won by BJP unopposed and polling was held for 74 'Nagar Palikas' or municipalities on Sunday.
Counting for the Bhachau municipality was suspended as the seals of some of the EVMs were found to be broken and the election commission said counting there would be held later.
Out of the 75 municipalities, the BJP has won 47, the Congress in nine, independent candidates have emerged as a majority block in nine municipalities while no party could manage majority in 10 municipalities.
BJP has won 1,142 out of 1,905 seats across all municipalities while Congress won 442 seats and independent won 290 seats.
Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) also made inroads by winning 13 and 16 seats respectively, whereas Samajwadi Party (SP) has won 2 seats.
Gujarat Parivartan Party led by Keshubhai Patel claimed that 54 of the independents who won were its candidates.
"If the SEC had provided us a common symbol in the municipal elections, we would have been able to win more seats," party general secretary Gordhan Zadafia said.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, elated by the victory, coming it within couple of months after victory in the Assembly elections, said, "Thankful to people of Gujarat for the continued faith in us. Congrats to BJP workers for major win in municipalities polls."
State BJP spokesperson I K Jadeja said besides retaining all the Municipalities where BJP was in power, the party has snatched 10 from the ruling Congress party.
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhwadia said, "Congress fought on party symbol in 57 of the 75 municipalities while elsewhere, it contested the polls by forming 'nagrik samitis'. Actually, Congress has won 19 and lost another 10 by only 2 or 3 seats. The BJP fought on party symbol and misused the state machinery during the polls."
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer