- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
A change at the 11th hour
In a dramatic sequence of events, Congress was in the process to replace Raju Kotadia with Hari Kansagra as its candidate for Dhoraji Assembly seat bypolls at the eleventh hour on Tuesday. On the evening of penultimate day of filing nominations, reports of Kotadia, a cooperative leader, giving way to Kansagra, a Rajkot-based hotelier, started coming in. State Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia defended the move saying the party had never announced Kotadia's name formally even though the Kotadia's name was cleared days ago. However, party insiders gave some insights. "Kotadia's political stature and wherewithal were too small as compared to Vitthal Radadia and Pravin Makadia. So, party spotted an equal to Makadia in Kansagra," a source said. Strongman Radadia hinted at retaining his influence in Dhoraji by deciding to accompany Makadia while the latter filed his nomination as BJP candidate in Dhoraji even as his son filed his papers in Rajkot to fight the bye-elections from Jetpur constituency.
Cops look the corporate way to save their future
The custodial death case of a housebreaker of Sardarnagar police station in Ahmedabad has sent such a tizzy to the police in the state that they have decided not to even shout at the accused lodged in lock-ups of the police stations, let alone raise their "dandas" on them. The allegations of custodial torture are not new for Gujarat Police but the recent case where their own police officers have booked them, the policemen were seen getting worried about their future. The policemen said they have now decided that the best weapon is "mental torture". A senior officer said nowadays the "ethics" of the corporate world needed to be applied to police functions where a person in custody is targeted with verbal volleys. It remains to be seen how the accused save themselves from the new techniques of Gujarat Police.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid