Gujarat Cong chief Arjun Modhwadia loses Porbandar seat
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, seeking third consecutive term from Porbandar constituency, was defeated by his BJP rival Babu Bokhiria by a margin of 17,146 votes.
Modhwadia, who had spearheaded a sustained and aggressive campaign against BJP, polled 60,458 votes while Bokhiria secured 77,604 votes.
Modhwadia had won 2002 and 2007 polls from this constituency. He had defeated Bokhiria in the last elections.
Arjun Modhwadia quits as Gujarat Congress president
Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia resigned on Thursday owing moral responsibility for the defeat in Assembly elections, a party functionary said.
Modhwadia, seeking third consecutive term from Porbandar constituency, was defeated by his BJP rival Babu Bokhiria by a margin of 17,146 votes.
"Our state president has sent his resignation letter to party president Sonia Gandhi taking the moral responsibility for the defeat," state Congress spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
According to Doshi, Modhwadia congratulated Narendra Modi for the popular mandate which went in favour of BJP.
Modhwadia spearheaded a sustained campaign against Modi government in the run-up to the Assembly elections.