Gujarat Cong chief Arjun Modhwadia loses Porbandar seat
- AAP battles Modi in Delhi, Congress missing
- First time, Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, calls her change ânakliâ
- Third phase of LS polls ends: High turnout in 91 seats; Chandigarh tops with 74 per cent
- Riot victims fight fear to vote, get glimpse of home
- Narendra Modi mentioned wife in poll affidavit after SC order on full disclosure
Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, seeking third consecutive term from Porbandar constituency, was defeated by his BJP rival Babu Bokhiria by a margin of 17,146 votes.
Modhwadia, who had spearheaded a sustained and aggressive campaign against BJP, polled 60,458 votes while Bokhiria secured 77,604 votes.
Modhwadia had won 2002 and 2007 polls from this constituency. He had defeated Bokhiria in the last elections.
Arjun Modhwadia quits as Gujarat Congress president
Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia resigned on Thursday owing moral responsibility for the defeat in Assembly elections, a party functionary said.
Modhwadia, seeking third consecutive term from Porbandar constituency, was defeated by his BJP rival Babu Bokhiria by a margin of 17,146 votes.
"Our state president has sent his resignation letter to party president Sonia Gandhi taking the moral responsibility for the defeat," state Congress spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
According to Doshi, Modhwadia congratulated Narendra Modi for the popular mandate which went in favour of BJP.
Modhwadia spearheaded a sustained campaign against Modi government in the run-up to the Assembly elections.
- Srinath wins title but Deshpande steals show
- Ambala Lok Sabha constituency: 65.15 pc vote in Panchkula district
- ‘No smoking’ signages to dot polling booths
- City breaks electoral record as 74 pc turn out to vote
- BJP campaign in Varanasi starts April 12 — without Modi
- Cong spending Rs 50 cr on each constituency: Kumaraswamy