Gujarat Cong gears up for panchayat polls
- 'AAP has become a Khap Panchayat,' says Prashant Bhushan after expulsion from party
- Salman Khan hit-and-run case: Verdict to be announced on May 6
- Maneka Gandhi calls for nation-wide ban on cow, buffalo slaughter
- Venkaiah Naidu is Modi govt’s defence against Rahul Gandhi
- After 56-day absence, Rahul Gandhi makes comeback in Parliament
Smarting under the defeat in the recently concluded Assembly elections, the state Congress held a meeting of its district presidents early this week to prepare a strategy for elections to 1,450 gram panchayats scheduled for February 3.
The party is also preparing for elections to two zilla panchayats, 15 taluka panchayats and 77 nagarpalikas, the date for which is yet to be announced.
Senior party leaders asked district unit chiefs not to leave any stone
unturned to ensure victory of party candidates. They said their work done now would also have an impact on the outcome of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. Sources said several of the district party presidents emphasised on the selection of right candidates to ensure victory.
They reportedly urged party leaders not to
impose their whims based on reports from their favourites leaders but go with the suggestions of local party office-bearers and MLAs to ensure a better performance.
The districts in which zilla panchayat elections are due are Kheda and Banaskantha. Banaskantha district Congress president Zakirhussain R Chauhan said the party could retain its hold over zilla panchayat if right candidates were fielded.