Gujarat elections: Amit Shah among 89 candidates in BJP's 3rd list
- IPL spot-fixing: Delhi court drops charges against S Sreesanth and two other cricketers
- Nitish Kumar gets back at Modi, accuses him for 'not honouring promises'
- Major decisions on revision of role of women in armed forces on the anvil: Manohar Parrikar
- Congress, TMC and BJD to seek total withdrawal of NDA's land bill
- Never sought travel documents for Lalit Modi, says Sushma Swaraj
Former Gujarat Minister of State for Home Amit Shah, facing charges in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case, has been fielded by BJP from the Naranpura Assembly seat in the forthcoming elections for which the party today announced its third list of 89 candidates.
BJP's Central Election Committee declared the list of candidates, comprising of 89 names, for the two-phase Gujarat Assembly elections to be held on December 13 and 17.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi presented the list of prospective candidates in the CEC meeting and got the central leadership's assent.
Shah, who is facing allegations of his involvement in the Sohrabuddin fake encounter case and was externed from Gujarat earlier, will contest from Naranpura.
A close confidant of Modi, Shah was reportedly in touch with the police officials who allegedly carried out Sohrabuddin's encounter.
Other prominent candidates announced today include Anandiben Patel, a close Modi associate, who will contest from Ghatlodiya. It is widely rumoured that she may take over the mantle in Gujarat if Modi moves to national politics after the polls.
Bharatbhai Barot, another leader from Modi's coterie, will be in the fray from Dariapur.
Unconfirmed reports said 27 of 122 BJP MLAs have been denied a ticket in these polls. BJP has declared 177 candidates for the 182-member Gujarat Assembly.
There are 19 women, seven Scheduled Caste and 11 Scheduled Caste in today's list of candidates.