Gujarat government extends gutka ban by a year
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
Gujarat government extended a comprehensive ban on the sale, stocking, production and distribution of gutka as well as pan masala containing nicotine today for another year in the state.
"On September 11, 2012 imposed a ban on sale, stocking, production and distribution of gutka and pan masala which contains nicotine under provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act and its Regulation Act. Today the government decided to extend that ban for one more year," Gujarat state's spokesperson and Finance Minister Nitin Patel said in an official statement.
As per the notification issued on September 3 last year, the ban enabled by provisions of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, on the manufacturing, sale, storage and distribution of gutka was initially for the duration of one year.The notification stipulates that any violation of ban on food articles containing nicotine and tobacco as ingredients would attract at least six months of imprisonment and a fine of upto Rs 5 lakh.
However, 100 per cent export-oriented units have been exempted from the prohibition. "Chief Minister Narendra Modi has appealed to the people to make Gujarat a gutka-free state and the response from across the state is overwhelming. Hence, the government has decided to extend the ban," Patel said. During the past one year, state agencies raided 28,172 units of wholeseller and retailers and seized around 8,976 kg of gutka from 31 units, as per official statements.
- BJP Dalit leader mounts pressure on Kejriwal over AAP’s stand on reservation
- PGI gets 10 new glaucoma cases of kids every month
- Balongi: 4 more water samples fail; 3 kids among 4 new patients
- Kejriwal gave ‘misleading information’ about assets, complainant tells court
- Was told not to talk of Jaspal Bhatti… He was my husband, my motivation: Savita
- Delhi EC moots longer polling hours
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress