Gujralís funeral march halts traffic in city
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
Commuters stranded as traffic police impose restrictions on certain stretches
Central and New Delhi areas came to a standstill on Saturday afternoon after several arterial roads were shut due to VIP movement for the funeral of former Prime Minister
I K Gujral at Smriti Sthal near Shanti Van on the Ring Road.
Restrictions were imposed for a few hours after 1 pm and the traffic spilled over to Connaught Place, Ring Road and Mathura Road making the situation difficult for traffic personnel. More than 200 personnel were seen on roads, managing the flow manually to ensure smooth passage.
Several commuters were seen leaving the autorickshaws and making their way through traffic to reach offices after the lunch hour.
"The traffic just refused to move. I came to Connaught Place to have lunch, and got stuck there. Police should have issued an advisory to alert commuters," Vaibhav, a government official, said.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg said, "We had stopped traffic to ensure that it did not lead to a massive jam. The roads were opened later. Traffic crawled in certain places including ITO , Raj Ghat and Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, but no major jam was reported."
"Only one carriageway of these roads was blocked for the VIP movement, but the other carriageway remained open, which helped ease the situation," he said.
The worst hit stretches were Tilak Marg, Ring Road, Shajahan Road, IP Marg, and C Hexagon-India Gate.
The funeral procession began from Janpath and culminated at Smriti Sthal, located between Jawaharlal Nehru's memorial Shanti Van and Lal Bahadur Shastri's Vijay Ghat.
This also led to traffic obstruction on Moti Lal Nehru Marg, Mansingh Road, Shahjahan Road, Subramaniam Bharti Marg, Akbar Road, Tilak Marg and Jawaharlal Nehru Marg.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today