Gurung skips Delhi protest, may meet Didi instead
- Yeddyurappa among 52 Bharatiya Janata Party candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- Ink attack on AAP leader Yogendra Yadav at Jantar Mantar
- RSP quits LDF, to go alone in Lok Sabha elections
GJM president and chief executive of the Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) Bimal Gurung is likely to hold a meeting with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. Interestingly, Gurung — who was scheduled to join the GJM leaders in Delhi in a dharna demanding Gorkhaland — is staying back in Darjeeling.
According to sources in GJM rank and file, Gurung has changed his mind and decided to meet 'Didi' as the Centre sought more time before the Telengana state is announced.
Meanwhile, the GJM leaders started protesting in Delhi, demanding Gorkhaland, as January 27 was declared as the deadline by the Telengana activists for announcing Telengana state. A senior GJM leader said: "We had to hold dharna as we are under huge pressure from the people of the Hills. We had to demand Gorkhaland if Telengana was announced. So we planned dharna for indefinite period."
Roshan Giri, GJM general secretary, said: "The central government has sought more time before announcing Telengana state. So we also have time in our hand. Gurung was scheduled to join the dharna in Delhi. But, after Centre's announcement on Telengana, he cancelled his visit. Instead, he will meet the Chief Minister in Darjeeling."
Mamata reached Darjeeling on Monday. She inaugurated the North Bengal Festival in Siliguri and as part of the festival, she will stay in Darjeeling tomorrow also.
However, the GJM leaders, including Giri and three GJM MLAs, are still in Delhi for the dharna, which will continue for four-five days. The GJM leaders are not sure whether Gurung will agree to hold a meeting with Mamata.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today