Guwahati molestation case: 11 convicted, four acquitted
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress moves EC over Modi's roadshow in Varanasi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP records 24 % in first four hours
Eleven accused in the sensational G S Road molestation case here on July 9 last, including prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita, were convicted today while four others acquitted.
Kamrup Chief Judicial Magistrate S P Moitra today convicted prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita along with 10 others under various Sections of IPC.
The CJM acquitted local television channel journalist Gaurav Jyoti Neog, Hafizuddin, Diganta Basumatary and Jitumoni Deka due to lack of evidence.
Besides Kalita, the others convicted include Puspendra Das, Sikandar Basfor, Dhanraj Basfor, Nabajyoti Baruah, Nabajyoti Deka, Deepak Deb, Rubul Ali, Deba Das, Rupkanta Kalita and Ghanasyham Kumar Malik.
Altogether 16 people were taken into custody, but one of them was a minor and his case was being heard in the Juvenile Justice Court.
Altogether 24 witnesses were examined during the trial by the CJM. The quantum of the sentence was expected to be announced later in the day.
All the accused were currently on bail and the convicted have submitted an application with the CJM that as they were not satisfied with the judgement and have the statutory right to appeal before the Sessions Court within 30 days, they should continue to be on bail during the appeal period.
The incident created a nation-wide sensation when a girl was molested by a group of people outside a bar on the night of July 9 with the entire incident captured by Neog on camera which was later telecast and even uploaded on Youtube.
The government had constituted a Special Investigation Team headed by Superintendent of Police(Operation) Ranjan Bhuyan which submitted the chargesheet on September 4 last in which 16 persons were named as accused.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling