Haldia medical college students at HC door
- Dawood's hanging would have satisfied us more: Family of 93 blasts victim
- Terrorists who attacked Gurdaspur came from Pakistan: Rajnath Singh
- Nation bids tearful adieu to former president APJ Abdul Kalam
- Why this unseemly hurry in Yakub execution: Prashant Bhushan
- Taliban confirms leader Mullah Omar's death, new successor already in place
Students of Medical College at Haldia on Tuesday approached the Calcutta High Court seeking a direction to the Medical Council of India (MCI) to give a provisional permission to run the college this year. The MCI had de-recognised the college in December 2011.
Hearing the petition filed by 77 first-year medical students, Justice Tapen Sen directed the state government, MCI and the West Bengal University of Health Science to file an affidavit within five weeks in this regard.
ICARE, a social organisation at Haldia, had started a dental college under the chairmanship of Lakhan Seth, former CPM MP of Tamluk, in 2007. The organistaion opened the medical college in 2010 using the same infrastructure.
In 2010, the state government issued 'essentiality certificate 'and West Bengal University of Health Science gave the nod to run the medical college at Haldia in the name of ICARE Institute of Medical Science and Research Institute. MCI, too, gave the permission to open the medical college. In August 2011, the state government renewed permission for the medical college but the '' fees committee'' and ''examination committee'' allegedly did not co-operate with the institute. The ICARE Institute of Medical Science and Research Institute went to the Supreme Court against the state government.