Haldia medical college students at HC door
- ASEAN Summit: PM Modi meets Chinese counterpart; discusses bilateral ties
- Congress 'anti-national', party should be 'derecognised': Sukhbir Badal
- Tejaswi Yadav takes on critics, says don't judge a book by its cover
- Sheena Bora murder case: Charges against Peter Mukerjea outrageous, says son Rahul Mukerjea
- AAP sends invite to dissident Shanti Bhushan for NC meet
Students of Medical College at Haldia on Tuesday approached the Calcutta High Court seeking a direction to the Medical Council of India (MCI) to give a provisional permission to run the college this year. The MCI had de-recognised the college in December 2011.
Hearing the petition filed by 77 first-year medical students, Justice Tapen Sen directed the state government, MCI and the West Bengal University of Health Science to file an affidavit within five weeks in this regard.
ICARE, a social organisation at Haldia, had started a dental college under the chairmanship of Lakhan Seth, former CPM MP of Tamluk, in 2007. The organistaion opened the medical college in 2010 using the same infrastructure.