Hands that helped speed up Verma report
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Record 79 pc polling in Bengal; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: DD steady but slow
Mihika Sood, 28, who too practices at Delhi High Court, was contacted by Subramaniam's office. "I readily agreed to be part of the team," Sood said, describing their contribution to the making of the report: "Every mail in the committee's inbox was read, the relevant portions culled out. We researched and edited the submissions that made their way into the report."
At the committee's press conference last week, Justice Verma credited the young team for the hard work they had put in. "If anyone has to be thanked for drafting this report and making it possible to come out within such a short span of time, it is the young members who backed us," he said. "Had it not been for their dedication and perseverance, we would not have been even halfway through." He read out all 16 names.
The decision to submit the report within a month was taken by Justice Verma himself. "When a senior cabinet minister approached me on behalf of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on December 23, I asked him when the next session of Parliament would be," he said. "The minister told me the (budget) session would start on February 21. There were two months, so I decided, let's do it in 30 days. If we are able to do it in half the time available, then the government with its might and resources should also act fast."
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18