"Happy, positive" messages key to success on Twitter
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Protests against Kejriwal in Varanasi; Modi's rally stage collapses due to rain
Scientists have discovered the secret to becoming popular on micro-blogging site Twitter. C.J. Hutto and colleagues at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta examined the content and re-tweeting fate of tweets sent by 500 non-celebrities over a 15-month period.
They looked for 2800 terms that convey positive and negative emotions, including slang and swear words, a set of emoticons and common acronyms like LOL. The keys to success,they found,were to tweet positive messages,write clearly and re-tweet interesting titbits of news. People who tweeted mostly about themselves didn't fare so well.
The study suggests it is the content of the tweets that has the biggest impact on the size of Twitter audience. Hutto said how engaged people are with their followers also matters.Readability was also key, he added. The researchers will present their findings at the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems in Paris, France, in April.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer