Harley on Delhi roads: This fat boy\'s no slouch
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Harley-Davidson Fat Boy travels from Milwaukee (Wisconsin) to Bawal (Haryana).
We take it out on Delhi roads to check out how good the Indian-assembled Harley is
Some 20 years ago, when Arnold Schwarzenegger made a gigantic bike jump in Terminator 2, an icon was born. Owning and riding the Harley-Davidson Fat Boy, since then, has been a sort of dream for biking enthusiasts. We have seen a few of those in India also—it's just that they remained 'few' considering owning the Fat Boy not only required guts, but some R20 lakh in your wallet too.
Why is it called Fat Boy
For those biking enthusiasts for whom the Fat Boy is still an enigma, here's a little note. An integral part of the Harley-Davidson Softail family, the Fat Boy is a big and strong motorcycle. It has a magnanimous frame mounted on two bulky wheels, and this stance, supposedly, gives the bike its name. Powered by a twin-cam 1,690-cc engine that produces a massive torque of 132Nm@3250rpm (Harley doesn't give out engine power figures), this bike is a classic from the ground up. This mean machine boasts of wide footboards, chrome coated air boxes and textured metal. Its low, comfortable seating position makes it a cruiser to the core.
Now, Harley-Davidson has added the Fat Boy to its completely knocked down (CKD) line-up and this means a large cut in costs. Fully assembled at the Harley-Davidson facility at Bawal in Haryana, the bike now costs R14.9 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) as against the previous completely built unit (CBU) price of R19.45 lakh. Okay, now you don't need R20 lakh in your wallet but you still need the guts, as I realised when last weekend I got a chance to experience the Fat Boy for a full day, which included a lot of inter-city trips (Delhi-Gurgaon-Noida) and some highway riding.
- â€˜Someone should remind the CM weâ€™re also aam aadmi. But theyâ€™ve turned us intoÂ demonsâ€™
- Kapil Sibal to contest from Chandni Chowk in 2014, even if Arvind Kejriwal inÂ fray
- AAP names Bharti victims, uploads eight videos targeting Africans in Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal likely to pass Jan Lokpal Bill in February, says the fight for new independence hasÂ begun