Harry Redknapp starts QPR reign with stalemate
- Naxals attack CRPF convoy in Chhattisgarh, 20 jawans feared dead
- Election Live: Rahul Gandhi addresses rally on Narendra Modi's turf
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
Harry Redknapp's salvage operation at Queens Park Rangers started with a battling 0-0 draw at fellow strugglers Sunderland in a dour Premier League match on Tuesday.
Aston Villa beat Reading 1-0 thanks to a late goal by striker Christian Benteke in another game between teams near the bottom of the table but the focus was on Redknapp's first match in charge at his fifth Premier League club.
We worked hard and we deserved a point tonight, Redknapp told Sky Sports.
We defended well and denied them chances. I feel more optimistic tonight than on Saturday. I saw enough tonight to think we can go on a small run and keep ourselves in the pack.
QPR, who have not won in 14 matches this season, remained rooted to the foot of the standings on five points, four adrift of Reading.
Villa climbed to 17th on 13 points following their third win of the season, level with Sunderland who are one place above them.
QPR came closest to scoring in the first half when Jamie Mackie was denied in a one-on-one situation with Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet and Adel Taarabt's follow-up shot was blocked.
Rob Green replaced the injured Julio Cesar in the Rangers goal at the start of the second half and the former England keeper made a brilliant save to keep out Steven Fletcher's powerful downward header from a corner.
I was hoping we would win the game, Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill said.
I know QPR will be buoyed by Harry Redknapp's appointment but I thought we could create enough to win. There were chances at both ends but it was a frustrating evening.
Redknapp, 65, who chatted warmly with O'Neill in the tunnel before the game, replaced Mark Hughes who was sacked last week after 11 months in charge.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express