Haryana: Girl lynched, boy beheaded in 'honour killing' in Rohtak
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
In a suspected case of honour killing, a couple was allegedly lynched by the girl's family in Rohtak district of Haryana on Wednesday evening. While the girl, Nidhi Barak, 20, was reportedly killed in public view and then cremated, the boy, Dharmender Barak, 23, was reportedly beaten up, his arms and legs broken, and then beheaded. The youth's body was then thrown outside his house in the village.
Nidhi and Dharmender, both Jats, were residents of Gharnavati village in Kalanaur, Rohtak district. The incident came to light when one of the villagers informed the police. Till late night, Dharmender's family had not lodged a formal complaint with the police.
According to the police, Nidhi was pursuing a fine arts course in Rohtak, while Dharmender was doing an ITI diploma course in Rohtak.
On Tuesday morning, Nidhi and Dharmender reportedly left their homes and did not return. According to reports, they had decided to get married. Nidhi's family finally managed to contact her on Wednesday morning and persuaded her to return home, reportedly with the assurance that they would not harm her or Dharmender.
"Our preliminary information has revealed that when Dharmender and Nidhi returned to the village this evening, they were taken to Nidhi's home. They were both assaulted by her relatives. Nidhi's family first lynched her and then cremated her. Then they broke Dharmender's arms and legs and beheaded him. A few of them then threw his body in front of Dharmender's house," said DSP Anil Kumar.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today