Haryana Khaps justify 'honour killing', put blame on govt
- Patel row: Army conducts flag march to restore peace; seven dead in violence
- I know the exact cause of Sheena's murder: Indrani's son Mikhail Bora
- 26/11 Mumbai attack: Pakistan FIA did not probe role of Hafiz Saeed and David Headley
- Two US television journalists shot dead during live show; gunman dies in hospital
- OROP: Ex-servicemen say govt short changing them, dismiss its proposal
Khaps in Haryana Sunday, justifying 'honour killing' of a young couple in Rohtak's Gharnavati village last week, put the onus on the government for such killings as it has not amended the Hindu Marriage Act to legally ban same-gotra marriages.
A meeting of Sarvkhap Panchayat in Rohtak discussed honour killing cases. Sarvkhap Panchayat convener Jasbir Singh Malik said, "The government is directly responsible for honour killing. Had the state and union governments amended the Marriage Act in time, such cases could have been curbed. The government should ban same-gotra marriages".
Addressing the gathering, Khap leader Sanjay Rathi said, "Society is deteriorating because of influence of western culture. Our youth need to understand our customs and traditions, then only we can build a healthy society.
Even the media needs to change its viewpoint towards honour killings. Media is sensationalising honour killings".
Sarvkhap Panchayat leader Baljit Singh Malik of Gathwala Khap said, "Honour killing is a serious problem. Nobody has any right to snatch away a life given by God".