Haryana minor's rape: Verdict in 4 months, two get life in jail
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
The two prime accused involved in the gangrape of a 16-year-old Dalit girl in Sachakhera village, in Jind district of Haryana, were sentenced to life imprisonment on Friday. The quantum of sentence was pronounced within four months of the incident. Pradeep and Sanjeev alias Sandeep were given the sentence on charges of rape and abetment to suicide.
Two other accused in the case, Haryana Police constable Manoj and his wife Meena, have been acquitted. The trial of the fifth accused is going on in a juvenile court.
R S Sindhwani, the accused's counsel, said: "Pradeep and Sanjeev have been sentenced to life imprisonment and a fine of Rs 10,000."
Meanwhile, the victim's mother said that her daughter mentioned that Manoj and Meena had facilitated the crime, but both had been let off: "We are not at all happy with the court's verdict. These accused should have been awarded death sentence. We shall approach the High Court and demand more severe punishment for the accused."
IIM teacher alleges sexual harassment by colleague
A professor at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) here has filed a complaint of sexual harassment against her colleague.
A spokesperson for the IIM said that the professor had lodged a complaint with the institute director against an associate professor of the marketing department on February 20. The complaint was forwarded to the Gender Sensitivity Committee and statements of the two professors recorded."No action has so far been taken against the accused as the director is waiting for the committee's final report," he said.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi