Haryana school expels teen who was raped for 4 months

In yet another shocking report from Haryana, a 13-year-old girl who was allegedly raped by a 60-year-old fruit vendor in Fatehabad for over four months, and her two younger sisters were expelled from a government school, hours after the rapist was arrested.

The school authorities, however, on Sunday claimed that the three sisters "left the school on their own" and were never expelled.

The incident came to light on Saturday, when the victim, a student of Class 6, complained to her father. Her mother lodged a complaint with the police alleged that the man, who runs a fruit shop outside the school, raped her daughter during school hours.

A medical examination confirmed rape, following which the suspect was arrested. The man allegedly lured the victim by offering fruits free of cost

However, after the incident came to light, the school tried to distance itself from the victim and expelled her and her two siblings.

The victim's father told a news channel that school authorities struck off the names of his three daughter without telling him the reason.

"This happened when I went to the school on Saturday... they said my daughters can't study here," the father alleged.

However, a senior school denied the allegation and said, "The family of the girls decided to withdraw them from the school. They were not expelled."

The incident has come days after UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi visited family of a rape victim who had committed suicide and assured action against the culprits.

Haryana has been rocked by series of rapes - at least 19 reported in last five weeks.

The the latest incident was reported from Sirsa on Sunday where police on Sunday booked a resident of Kharkadi village in Hisar on the charge of raping a girl who had eloped with him after he promised to marry her.

According to the complaint lodged by the girl, one Krishan Kumar (25) forced her to elope with him on September 25. Krishan allegedly exploited her sexually with a promise of marrying her, but later he backtracked and left her in Sirsa on October 9.

The victim approached the Sirsa Police with a complaint against the accused. After initial investigation, the police declined to book the accused for rape. The matter was later taken up by the media leading to registration of an FIR against Krishan Kumar.

With ENS Chandigarh

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.