HC asks for guidelines on school buses in TN
- Maoists kill at least 7 poll officials, seven others in twin attack in Chhattisgarh
- World doesn't trust Modi, says Congress citing British newspaper
- FIR against SP leader Azam Khan over 'Kargil won by Muslim soldiers' remark
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Manmohan Singh didnât put wifeâs name in Rajya Sabha affidavit, says BJP
Madras High Court on Friday directed the state government to take stringent action against the transport department and school authorities responsible for the death of the Class II student who came under the wheels of her school bus after falling through a hole in the floor on Wednesday.
As a long term measure to avoid repeating similar incidents, the First Bench asked the government to draw guidelines regarding school vehicles, directing authorities to submit it within two weeks.
The Bench, comprising Chief Justice M Y Eqbal and Justice TS Sivagnanam, took suo motu notice of the shocking accident in which seven-year-old Shruti Sethumadhavan, a student of Zion Matriculation School in Chennai, fell through a gaping hole in the floor of the bus and crushed to death.
Exposing the callousness of the official machinery responsible for ensuring safety of the vehicle, the bus was found to have been given the fitness certificate only on July 9 even though it had serious shortcomings.
AG A Navaneethakrishnan submitted that five persons — the motor vehicle inspector who gave the fitness certificate, correspondent of the school, owner of the transport services company, and the driver and cleaner of the bus — were arrested.
3-yr-old girl crushed under bus
Sujitha, 3, of Echampettu village near Ambur in Vellore district was run over by her school bus on Friday. The driver, Krishnan, dropped Sujitha, an LKG student at Embesow Matriculation School, and her sister and, not realising she was crossing the road to her home in front of the bus, moved on and crushed her. The police have filed a case and arrested Krishnan.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit