HC asks girl’s parents to provide evidence
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Supreme Court lifts mining ban in Goa, caps iron ore volume
- PMO begins work on Presidentâs Parliament speech for next govt
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
- To prevent polarisation, EC tells Delhi Police âdonât publicise workâ
The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday asked the parents of the minor girl, who was allegedly kidnapped from Faridkot and found a month later in Goa with her alleged abductor Nishan Singh, to produce evidence to show that their allegations against the accused are true.
A petition, demanding a CBI probe into the case came up for hearing for the first time on Wednesday. While the court did not issue notices on the petition, it asked the girl's parents to furnish evidence — in a petition filed before the court on Monday, the parents had alleged that several FIRs were pending against Nishan.
The parents of the minor girl had moved high court demanding a CBI probe into the case while accusing the Punjab Police of being hands-in-glove with Nishan. "The petitioners have the apprehension that the Punjab Police will not conduct an impartial investigation... and ultimately, accused Nishan Singh will benefit. The police authorities are not investigating the matter properly as they are in hand-in-glove with the accused," the petition stated.
The parents of the minor girl, who is pregnant, have also alleged that the role of police have been "suspicious in the case right from the beginning". Not expecting a "fair, impartial and independent" probe, they demanded that the case be handed over to CBI or a special investigation team headed by a officer not from the Punjab Police.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready