HC cancels Palande bail

Bombay High Court (HC) cancelled Wednesday bail granted to Vijay Palande in 2007 in a kidnapping and murder case.

Palande, lodged in Arthur Road Jail, was convicted by a trial court in 2002 of kidnapping and killing city businessman Swaraj Ranjan Das in 1998 and sentenced to life imprisonment.

His appeal against the order is pending before HC.

Palande is also accused of having murdered Delhi businessman Arun Tikku, aspiring film producer Karan Kakad and an unknown person whose body was found in Kumbharli Ghat near Chiplun.

Additional public prosecutor Mankunwar Deshmukh told HC Palande "misused liberty given to him by the court". He pointed out to a division bench of justices P V Hardas and Abhay Thipsay that three murder cases had been slapped on Palande after he was granted bail by a trial court.

The prosecution also said he was "misrepresenting facts to the court" by claiming he had been in custody for nine years. Palande had, in fact, escaped while on parole in 2003 and was absconding till 2006, it said.

In December last year, the state government filed an application seeking cancellation of his bail. HC accepted prosecution contentions Wednesday and ruled in favour of the government.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.