HC issues notice to Punjab on premature release of convicts
- Draft National Encryption Policy gives Govt key to Whatsapp messages, mail
- Why Rahul Gandhi is suddenly obsessed with Narendra Modi
- Bilaspur tunnel collapse: Two of the three trapped workers rescued after nine days
- Bombay HC refuses to relax ban on beef during Bakri Eid
- NRHM scam: CBI to quiz Mayawati to unravel 'larger conspiracy'
Acting on the allegations made by the Nabha open air jail inmates that Punjab government is granting premature release to those inmates who have political as well as financial approach, the Punjab and Haryana High Court has issued notice to the state.
Around 71 jail inmates had submitted this complaint to Justice Ajay Kumar Mittal during his visit to the jail for inspection on December 6.
Taking note of the complaint, a Division Bench comprising chief Justice Arjan Kumar Sikri and Justice Rakesh Kumar Jain issued the notice to the state for February 14.
The inmates had informed that financially sound convicts and those who have political influence get their cases approved within 15-20 days, but convicts have not political links keep waiting for their premature release in jail for years.
However, nobody cares for other prisoners' cases as when during the parades they request the jail officers about their premature release case, they express their helplessness saying that they have done whatever they could and they can get release if they their case get recommended by a politician, read the complaint.