HC quashes Army selection board proceedings led by ex-chief V K Singh
- Babri Masjid demolition case: SC issues notices to Advani, other BJP leaders over conspiracy charges
- Seven years ago, everyone saw Delhi’s air take a deadly U-turn but no one did a thing
- LIVE: 16 dead as floods ravage parts of Jammu and Kashmir
- Take this, Congress: NDA plans a memorial for Narasimha Rao
- Punjab panel books Muslims, Christians with ‘fake’ SC papers
The Bench rejected the Secretary's justification of the Army's decision and said that there could not be valid ratification of an illegal act.
"It is obvious that the Defence Secretary was more influenced by the credibility of the promotion board being adversely affected and not by the merits of the matter. He forgot that to commit an error is to do no wrong, but to perpetuate an error is to do a wrong. Having once opined that the board could not have applied the criteria of a proposed revised policy which was expressly made applicable with effect from April 1, 2011, in all fairness, the Defence Secretary ought to have recommended the cancellation of the board proceedings with a direction that matter be considered afresh as per the existing policy," said the Bench.