HC security in-charge held on rape charge
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition stable, must have consumed some tablets, says doctor
- Why is PM Modi silent on Dadri lynching? asks Opposition
- 'Arrogant' Nitish will return the money I will give for Bihar: Modi at Banka rally
- Terming Gandhi his 'inspiration', PM Modi bats for saving environment
- India's climate change goals - ambitious but achievable
The Ahmedabad Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) Tuesday detained a police inspector for allegedly raping a 37-year-old woman and extorting Rs 50,000 from her. The inspector, F M Qureshi, was posted at the Gujarat High Court as security in-charge.
The complainant, who belongs to Dehradun, is accused in an abetment to suicide case. She was booked under Section 306 of the IPC after a Colonel posted at Bhuj committed suicide a few years ago.
According to the FIR lodged with the women police station, she came in contact with Qureshi during hearing of the case at the HC in 2011. She stated that initially Qureshi discussed the case with her and promised to help her claiming he knew some good lawyers.
He later accompanied her to Bhuj claiming he wanted to understand the case to be able to help her. They stayed at a hotel and later Qureshi allegedly promised to marry her, police said. He allegedly took her to various hotels in Ahmedabad and Kutch between November 1, 2011 and December 31, 2012 where he "forced himself on her", stated the FIR.
JCP (Crime) Arun Sharma said, "The woman had a relationship with a Colonel at Bhuj, who committed suicide. In Ahmedabad, she was looking for help, which she got from Qureshi. It has been found that he raped her and also took Rs 50,000 from her on the pretext of helping her."