HC seeks govt reply on crucial appointments
- Ashutosh, Shazia Ilmi taken for questioning over clashes with BJP
- I am more qualified for PM post than Narendra Modi: Nitish Kumar
- Doctors in UP call off strike after Allahabad HC's intervention
- Ukraine crisis: Crimea sets referendum on whether to join Russia
- SC adjourns Centreâs plea restraining TN from releasing Rajiv killers till March 26
On a petition challenging the appointment of Samajwadi Party secretary K C Pandey as vice-chairman of the UP Council of Sugarcane Research, the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Wednesday asked the state government to file a reply within two weeks regarding the criteria for making such appointments.
The bench of Justices Uma Nath Singh and V K Dixit passed the order on a PIL, filed by social activist Nutan Thakur. K C Pandey faces allegations of sheltering cattle smugglers in Gonda district.
The petition urged the court to order an inquiry into the allegations against Pandey, and also to "re-assess and re-evaluate" the appointments to various other similar posts.
Stating that there are no definite rules and regulations for appointment to posts of chairman, vice-chairman, members in various commissions, councils, corporations, academies, institutions, and companies of Uttar Pradesh, Thakur urged the court to direct the state government to prepare quantitative and qualitative, clear, specific, exact and well-defined qualifications for these posts.
She also prayed that the appointment procedures for these posts should be well publicised, and the appointment should be carried out in a transparent manner. Among the appointments which Thakur seeks to be re-evaluated include Abid Raza, chairman of the National Integration Council, UP; Sahib Singh Saini, chairman of Beej Pramarikaran Nigam; Surendra Mohan Agarwal, chairman of the UP Commercial Tax Advisory Committee; Naved Siddique, chairman of the Sangeet Natak Academy; Gopal Das Neeraj, chairman of the UP Hindi Sansthan, Waseem Ahmed Khan, chairman of the State Pollution Control Board.
- Chavan sweetens deal for slum-dwellers
- ‘Buildings with approved layout plan should be exempted from SC order’
- WR puts brakes on new suburban services
- UP Doctors Protest: SP MLA booked as strike called off
- Raj Thackeray initiates talks with fringe parties
- Ministers, corporators fight over credit for public projects