HC seeks Pragya medical certificates from jail authorities
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Yuvraj, Kohli power RCB to thumping win
The Bombay High Court on Friday asked the jail superintendent of the Bhopal District Jail to produce medical certificates to ascertain the health condition of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case. Justice Abhay Thipsay gave the direction in response to her application seeking bail on health grounds.
While the medical certificate is to be produced in one week, the bail hearing has been posted for hearing to January 11.
She is now lodged in Bhopal jail.
She had filed her plea for bail on the grounds that she has been diagnosed with third-stage breast cancer. She also claimed she has been falsely implicated in the case.
In July, too, she had moved the High Court for bail.
She subsequently withdrew her application after the judge hearing the case orally expressed his disinclination to grant bail and asked the National Investigating Agency (NIA) to ensure she gets proper medical treatment. Earlier, on June 28 this year, a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court had rejected her bail plea saying MCOCA does not allow bail to anyone on medical grounds.