Heavy fog results in 21 car pile-up, 25 injured
- Muslim women beaten up in Madhya Pradesh over beef rumours
- Harish Rawat confirms Chinese incursion in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district
- GST Bill: Uncertainty continues as States don’t agree on rate
- Cow was killed by lion, not Dalit men flogged by gau rakshaks: CID
- How Governor Raghuram Rajan had his way on venue for RBI interviews
Over 25 persons were injured and 21 cars damaged due to heavy fog Wednesday on Doraha-Ludhiana road. The accident took place after a truck collided with a stationary truck carrying iron rods. Surinder Singh, Emergency Medical Technician, 108 Ambulance Service, told Ludhiana Newsline, "Total persons injured were around 25 out of which four are seriously injured and they were rushed to Civil Hospital in Ludhiana."
An eye-witness said, "A truck was standing on the roadside loaded with iron rods when suddenly another truck came and banged into it due to almost nil visibility due to fog. Then it was followed by chain collision of a Punjab Road Transport Corporation bus, then a tanker filled with acid, followed by another bus of Patiala Highways and then 16 cars which also collided.
"The second truck was carrying migrant labourers out of which eight were injured. It was the most severely damaged as it got stuck between a bus and the stationary truck," added the eyewitness.
Four people, who were seriously injured, have been identified as Sadir (40), Noor Mohammad (45), Dilshad (8) and Shahnaaz (36).
- Irom Sharmila calling off her fast against the AFSPA reflects the state’s failure to engage
- Strengthen Centre-state relations by giving the Inter-State Council teeth
- The Patel agitation and Dalit unrest threaten BJP’s dominance in Gujarat
- The CAMPA Bill: Whose forests are these anyway?
- Arundhati Ghose will be remembered for her role in India’s nuclear diplomacy
- Nativist sentiments and a growing tendency towards looking inwards imperil globalisation